If a person was born in darkness, and had only experienced darkness with no noise, images, or even touch (let's assume they are floating in space), would they have an imagination?
Highlight the area below to see my speculation.
I always seem to consider the religious buffs in these questions, and I guess it didn't really seem like a religious question until I said empty space. Because apparently, thats where God would have been. He had nothing and then he thought of some random stuff, I guess. Or did the big bang have a resultant 'divine' thought side effect? That seems kind of possible I guess. If everything was at one point, perhaps that one point was aware of itself and when it blew up God just stayed there. (Probably freaking out.) Regardless! Would a person stuck in the room have an imagination. I guess if you are religious you have to say yes to this question.
I, on the other hand, say no. If a person has no concept of light or color or touch or anything then how could they possibly expect it? Consider a person who is blind their entire life. Do they understand color?
i was having a similar conversation with some of my friends the other day. we decided that if someone was born blind they wouldn't be able to picture what things look like. we also decided that if someone went blind then the images they imagined of what things should look like would slowly get more and more distorted. i would guess that hearing and touching would work the same way.
ReplyDelete