Saturday, August 28, 2010

CK Question 12

I saw Eating the Dinosaur in the bookstore today. I wanted to buy it but it costs money. By now I don't even remember what I wrote to each of these questions.

12. You meet a wizard in downtown Chicago. The wizard tells you he can make you more attractive if you pay him money. When you ask how this process works, the wizard points to a random person on the street. You look at this random stranger. The wizard says, "I will now make them a dollar more attractive." He waves his magic wand. Ostensibly, this person does not change at all; as far as you can tell, nothing is different. But--somehow--this person is suddenly a little more appealing. The tangible difference is invisible to the naked eye, but you can't deny that this person is vaguely sexier. This wizard has a weird rule, though--you can only pay him once. You can't keep giving him money until you're satisfied. You can only pay him one lump sum up front.

How much cash do you give the wizard?

12. Let's see, a dollar made the person vaguely sexier you say? I don't know, probably around $50. Now, anyway. Who knows what my financial or physical status will be when I meet this wizard. Is it relevant that I meet him in Chicago? I mean, if I just got in a car crash or something, I'd probably pay him more. But if I just lost my virginity or something I'd probably have pretty high confidence, so I'd pay him less. I know there are a lot more conditionals I add to these questions but hey, these are things to be considered. I'd probably get my friend to try it out first and if $50 didn't make them satisfactorily (yeah that's a word I guess) sexier, then I would pay more than they did. Sorry man.

Addition (I read over it and added this today): Seeing as the person is only vaguely sexier, I would be forced to assume the wizard only acts on placebos, or tricks of the eye. I would first have to see him make someone much more attractive before I could believe that it was true.

No comments:

Post a Comment