Thursday, August 26, 2010

Poetry

I'll be short because I feel like I've said this too many times but I know my blog is devoid of this thought.

This I wrote a couple days ago.

Sometimes I think writing (poetry specifically) is simply a celebration of mediocrity. But my peers think otherwise, as they can talk at lengths about an 8 line poem about clothespins. Its a nice thought, sure, but it seems to belong in a larger collection of thoughts not simply on its own. Perhaps writing has affirmative action built in - all sizes, shapes and colors accomodated even if one piece is significantly, and/or obviously superior.

I always thought poetry was writing for those who couldn't write, but my class has taught me to think a little harder than that. Not that poetry is an intelligent act, but it certainly is a thinker's act. Anything that springs a thought counts as writing. I suppose I have lowered my standards, but in doing so, have opened my doors much wider to writing. So don't knock on poetry is what I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment